JAY PHILPOTT AFTERNOONS 3-7pm ON THE BAY
Get To Know Jay
Jay Philpott was born in St. Louis and grew up in several places over his childhood in Minnesota and California. It prepared him well for the mobility that comes with a career in broadcasting. Jay has worked in a variety of station formats: disco (hey, we do what we gotta do for that first job!), country, new wave, big band, Top 40, AOR, variety hits, classic rock (several times), metal and oldies and now back to classic rock Jay has worked in all areas of the country and gotten to know people in great cities such as Minneapolis, Seattle, Springfield (IL), Dallas, Norfolk/Va Beach, Milwaukee, Charleston, SC and St. Louis.
Jay's personal interests are wide and varied - he loves all kinds of music and maintains a vast and growing collection of songs and classic radio shows. Pop culture in the form of TV and movies and social media, along with history (American and European), astronomy, and keeping up with sports in the many places he's lived also gets his attention. He loves to travel and has been to 45 states and is eager to get to the other 5 soon (ME, VT, NH, RI and Hawaii)! Jay has been skydiving twice and wants to do that again, as well.
Jay has some family in Maryland - his sister lives in the Wheaton area near DC and he has cousins in Baltimore City and Frederick.
Jay loves people and stays in contact with friends from all eras of his life, and loves meeting new people like Bay listeners and the clients that do business with the station. He likes to honor members of his family by supporting Veteran's organizations, and the many organizations that seek to cure medical conditions and diseases such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease and substance abuse/chemical dependency.
10 Questions We Asked Jay On The Bay and Here's What He Had To Say:
1. What do you like to do in your spare time? It's gotta be music-related and is usually quite LOUD!
2. Who is your celebrity crush? Mila Kunis and Kristen Bell. (Together or seperately, it doesn't matter.)
3. What would be your one super power? Thought transfer to text, so I wouldn't have to type. I call it tele-typee.
4. What would you change your name to? I wouldn't change my name. I know my family history back to the year 800 A.D. (approx)
5. Do you like pickles? Yes, but only the pickled ones.
6. If you were an animal, what would you be? Well, I wouldn't be a Tiger because he was a Cheetah! So I would be a hyena and laugh at my own jokes.
7. What's one of the scariest things you've ever done? Flew in a glass bottomed helicopter over the Grand Canyon.
8. What was your favorite toy as a kid? I had this little voice recorder called a "Say It and Play It".
9. What was the most powerful moment in your life? Seeing Stevie Ray Vaughan's body at the helicopter crash site in Wisconsin before investigators removed it. I realized life is fleeting and how terrible a loss it was.
10. What was the most unusual thing that happened to you while on vacation? I got to sit in the front row at the Tonight Show and slap hands with Jay Leno.